5 Nov 2013

Being a Police Cadet

Ellena Savage 11M tells us about her work in the Police Cadets and what she has learnt from it.

    Last month I attended the Thames Valley Police and Crime Commissioner's talk which I found very interesting and informative. It was particularly interesting for me as a Police Cadet to see how members of the community act towards the police and its more political side.  

    I have been part of the Windsor and Maidenhead Thames Valley Volunteer Police Cadets for 18 months now and I really enjoy it. We meet for two hours a week and learn various aspects of basic policing including how to make an arrest, how to take a statement, stop and search, crowd control, arresting for driving under the influence of drink or drugs, theft, aggravated burglary, burglary and robbery. The Police Cadets also learn about the court process and the rank structure of the police. Additionally, we have had visitors from the dogs units, underwater search and rescue, forensics, anti-terrorist departments and firearms. We learn about these key aspects and then put our skills to the test in various scenarios.

    As a Police Cadet, I also do a lot of voluntary work in the community. We have helped in small events such as assisting officers in road shows where we informed the public on how to keep safe, as well as being involved in litter picks and car checks. I have also been given the chance to help marshal the Remembrance Day Armed Forces parade and State Visits, and have recently assisted with the Thames Valley Police Force Open Day. We also do fitness activities and learn drills. We go on fun days out as well which have included go-karting, ice-skating, visiting London, going to the cinema, kayaking, going a trip to see the Police helicopter at RAF Benson, and this summer went on a two day residential trip to RAF Halton.


     I joined cadets because I was interested in a career in the force, and still am, but I have found it has helped me with many other skills in life. Cadets has helped me use common sense and has taught me to think logically. It has also really helped me in public speaking and has really boosted my confidence. I have recently earned a commendation certificate for my work in the Force Open Day. I really enjoy cadets and hope to join the Police Force when I am older. 

Contributed by Ellena Savage 11M


If you would like to contribute a post, please email:  studentblog@themaristschools.com

No comments:

Post a Comment